OCLC Report:
I found this article to be quite interesting and learned several things from it. I hadn't considered this before, but I thought it was a great idea that research articles can be self-published on a personal web site or blog, and then through Google many people will be able to read them. This is definitely a newer way to reach more people, especially while struggling to get your article published in a journal, etc, could take a very long time (if you are even able to eventually do it).
Another change happening is that through newer technology being used (email and handheld devices), many people receive content in this manner rather than through interlibrary loan or postal services. What affect will this have on ILL and USPS (if any)? Will ILL perhaps become a thing of the past, as patrons find easier and quicker ways to obtain materials? I agree with the statement in the article, "Librarians need to find ways to deliver quality content to mobile devices." This seems to be the direction we are going, so we must therefor pursue the possibilities. The suggestion for librarians and libraries to reach out to their patrons through having a blog is one possibility to support this direction.
My favorite quote from this journal is, "We are drowning in information but are starving for knowledge. Information is only useful when it can be located and synthesized into knowledge." As we strive to follow the developing technology and offer newer, more convenient options to patrons, we will succeed in helping them utilize the information and turn it into knowledge.
Clifford Lynch:
This article on information literacy and information technology literacy makes some important and valid points. As a society that values information, information literacy, and information technology literacy, we need to put forth the effort to ensure that as many ideas and suggestions as possible are implemented and supported, thus ensuring the proper education of these topics. This needs to be taught to all students, and to be done more in depth, so that each student has a thorough grasp on these things. Without such understanding, a person's chance to succeed significantly decreases.
Lied Library:
This article explained in detail the steps taken for this library to develop into a first-class research library. I found most of this article to be quite interesting, as I plan to work in this type of library. Unlike some professions, you can't just get your degree and then be done; being a librarian is a life-long commitment to stay up-to-date with technology and the ever-changing needs of a major academic research library.
I loved the suggestion for university libraries to have a laptop checkout program for students. This would greatly benefit some Pitt students--a few in our class have mentioned not having their own laptop. Every college student needs this opportunity (it is not just a luxury or convenience!), and if implemented, this would greatly benefit the students, and in turn, the university.
Reading about all of the problems they faced was quite eye-opening. What a major project they completed! Their list of challenges seemed quite comprehensive and would be a great starting list for any other institution who is faced with a similar situation, although I felt that perhaps some issues were not addressed (staff training, etc).
I did feel that, although they did a great job with opening this library and attempting to serve the students' needs, they should have done a much better job planning to accommodate for the future growth needs, both in spaces for student computers and space for additional staff.
One opportunity that I am greatly appreciating is, as they pointed out, having "so much information available...online 7/24/365"--basically meaning the library is virtually never closed. This is so true! With our remote-access to journals, we can access these items during any hours, from the comfort of our homes. Amazing and convenient! That is something that should be one of the top priorities of libraries, facilitating the ability to access these items off-site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I also find the quote from OCLC: "We are drowning in information but are starving for knowledge. Information is only useful when it can be located and synthesized into knowledge." to be exceedingly accurate. There is so much information that it is sometimes difficult to find.
I find the topic of digital libraries to be fascinating. Though here is some extra information that you may be interested in. The carnegie library is currently offering their patrons limited amounts of e-books that can be checked out and downloaded onto their computers (they are automatically deleted after the due date). My grandma currently downloads/borrows their books on tape.
Post a Comment