***W3schools HTML Tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/
Okay, I am VERY excited about this site! I had just been wishing over the past few weeks that I could have this taught to me...and here I am learning it! This site did a great job of explaining how to write HTML, so that any beginner should be able to follow it. I have added this to my 'favorites!'
HTML Cheatsheet http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/
(or rather: http://www.webmonkey.com/reference/HTML_Cheatsheet/)
I thought this would be just the same as the first site, but was pleasantly surprised. This site laid it all out so the basics were all on one page--very nice! It does just what it says: gives you a cheatsheet for HTML. Again, just what I wanted! This is definitely for a beginner. It also has links to other related articles.
W3 School Cascading Style Sheet Tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/css/
One thing I liked about this site is that they offer a 'diploma' for developers who want to document their knowledge of HTML, XHTML, and CSS. (Not for me, yet, but could be great for someone who is ready for that!) They also have many links for web hosting or web building, which is very helpful if that is what you need. I will definitely be spending more time with all three of these sites!
Goans, D., Leach, G., & Vogel, T. M. (2006). Beyond HTML: Developing and re-imagining library web guides in a content management system. Library Hi Tech, 24(1), 29-53.
This article got me thinking about some of the issues I may face when I begin working in an Academic Library. As GSU experienced, before they had a web developer everyone did their handouts whichever way they knew how--i.e.: no consistency, and problems such as some being detailed and some being vague. Once they had a web developer, they became more organized, using such things as templates to offer better service and more consistency. With the technological advancements we are seeing, any large library nowadays really needs to have someone filling a 'web development librarian' position. Even with this position filled, technological issues may arise, requiring additional procedures or policies to be put in place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Jean,
Trust me working in academic library I can tell you that more than likely you will go through what GSU has gone through at some point.
We are going through it right now with our database re-design, but luckily things are going along pretty smooth...so far. The most important thing if you are on a task-force like that...listen to everyone invloved.
I agree that the W3 site was very interesting and informative! I had naever made a "webpage" before, or even knew it was possible on my computer without extra software or something. I enjoyed the exercize and I am glad someone else shared my excitement.
Hi Jean, I was thinking about Alex Wright's Glut: when GSU hired the web developer and the book's notion of top-down organizational structure. Do you think there was a conflict of interest between the librarians who were designing the website and the developer between the lines of the GSU article?
I also liked the HTML cheatsheet. I thought it was simple, brief, and clear, and I remembered looking for something like that back when I used to mess around with HTML more. Would have been great. The tutorials would have been even better, though I never came across anything like that.
I agree that the last reading brought up some important issues for libraries and the systems used, particularly academic.
Post a Comment