Machtelt Garrels "Introduction to Linux: A hands on Guide"
I really didn't know anything about Linux until taking this course; I had heard the name, but couldn't have told you anything about it. One thing that has impressed me, though, is the premise of this operating system being free to everyone--what a great idea! To be able to have input from any or all users, as well, without cost for their input, is a huge advantage. It makes me wonder how I could have gone this long without exposure to it? It was also interesting to learn that clusters of Linux machines were used for the creation of well-known movies that we all have seen. I had never thought before about what systems were used to make those movies. It made me realize that even if a person doesn't know anything about Linux, their life is touched and/or influenced by it anyway!
Kernelthread.com Mac OS X
This gave a good background on Mac OS X... perhaps too much information?... for those of us who are unfamiliar with it. It is starting to help me see how everything "fits" together--different operating systems, computers, software, etc. So many terms I have always heard but not used myself or completely understood, and now I am starting to grasp what they mean! I've seen the word "kernel" mentioned in several readings now, but I don't feel I could explain what the term means (in this usage). Am I making it more difficult than it is? I mean, is there another word that could be substituted, and still convey what the writers are saying? Is this a new term, because I have never heard it related to I.T. before.
Wikipedia: Mac OS X
This article gave a completely thorough history and description of Mac OS X. I definitely think it is beneficial for all to read this who are interested in having an overview and a better understanding. Most of the writings could be easily understood by someone with only a basic computer background; however, some terms under "Prominent Features" were not explained as clearly within this article. For example, the term "Aqua GUI" was not clearly explained on these pages, and I was wondering exactly what it meant, but to find out you have to click on its link and go to another article (which is indeed good that it is there), but then you have another full description to read... which could lead to further words that you need clarified, hence additional links to investigate... that could be a never-ending scenario! (I guess, both good and bad.)
An Update on the Windows Roadmap
Regarding Windows Vista, I know it supposedly has significant advances over previous systems, but it doesn't seem as easy to just know how to do everything in it. It always takes me too long to figure out how to do something new! I was impressed, though, by their efforts at identifying third-party software that causes performance issues. It is incredible that they were able to reduce system boot time and system resume time, but especially that they were able to extend battery life by 10%! That is a significant improvement that can affect a vast majority of us! Everyone is benefited by saved time. I also was impressed by their show of caring what we, as users, want, and what they can do to deliver. I was wondering while reading about this, how woulod our day-to-day lives differ without Windows? I really can't imagine! Another thought I had, though, was that back in the Linux article they showed how they were trying to make the sofware look like Windows so people would feel 'at home.' I wonder why, then, Windows Vista changes the look so extremely, rather than simply building upon how things were in previous versions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Jean,
Windows could be changing their look maybe because other people are starting to catch up with them. Like Linux trying to amke them feel at home and I wouldn't be surpised if eventually the Mac-OS doesn't soon start trying to be more competetive. All this could happen because of one change with Micorsoft that a computer can't account for, and that is Bill Gates stepping down.
Without Bill Gates leading the way Microsoft is going to go through some transistions and this could be a moment where someone else steps up.
I agree that the Mac article had too much in it. I would also say though that it had to much technical stuff and went to indepth. I feel that it did not have enough of a general overview and did not talk about the many various software that come preloaded on it. I also felt the same about the Linux article. I did not know anything about it until this course and it seems to be great like you said because it is free and can have so much input. I also did not know what a kernel is and was confused by it as well. Lastly it makes me a bit mad that with Vista the looked chnaged so much. I liked microsoft as is and if they would have built upon the old look and made a few slight changes it would of been better. Like the commenter before me Bill gates is stepping down sadly and with that come changes some user might not want be will have to deal with.
Hi Jean,
I agree with you on the change in the windows format and how it takes me longer to accomplish stuff on it, especially with the new version on MS Word, but I only use that when I am at a campus computing lab. When I am at work, we still have XP and at home I have a mac.
Jean-
I agree with your thoughts on the articles we read. I do not consider myself to be a super knowledgeable computer person- usually know enough to get my job done. I have Vista at work and at home and finally feel brave enough to start playing around with it. I have found it to be much more intuitively set up. I'm sure that for a more experienced user, they are able to find fault but I have been very happy with the set up so far. My fear is that, especially, after our classes at Pitt, I will have a great understanding of what a PC can do and it will all be changed!
Hmmm, I had the opposite effect and it maybe the difference between MAC users and PC users, if that isn't too reductionist. I had no idea what the Linux article was talking about...it seemed like a lot of jargon to me. I have just been introduced to the Vista program since being at Pitt. I had heard all sorts of bad things about it but I don't seem to be experiencing them. I too am glad to have the chance to learn more about computers. This class intimidated me at first, but now I feel a little more comfortable with the material.
Post a Comment