Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week 4 Readings

Database: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database
The information presented about Databases in wikipedia covers the topic quite well and is a good review for what we learned in class. Rather than give a quick overview because most people probably understand the term 'database' already, the definition was quite comprehensive, yet simple enough for anyone to understand. It was especially interesting to see the links for 'realtime database' and 'glass databases.' I don't recall ever having been exposed to these terms before, so these links proved to be informative and educational.

Anne J. Gilliland. Introduction to Metadata, pathways to Digital Information: 1: Setting the Stage http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/standards/intrometadata/setting.html
If you have ever wondered just exactly what 'metadata' is, here is your answer! In the library professional setting, I have heard this term used more and more commonly over the past few years... yet, I could not have given a good explanation or definition of it until reading this article. As explained, metadata is "the sum total of what one can say about any information object at any level of aggregation." I can't help but wondering, though, why this new buzz-word? Librarians and other professionals have been working with 'metadata' for decades now... yet this term is rather new.

Eric J. Miller: An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model
http://dublincore.org/1999/06/06-overview/
Although quite descriptive, this was definitely not a reader-friendly overview. The authors did attempt to include as much information as possible, and to explain in their terms why they believe the way they did, but too often, I found myself re-reading paragraphs to figure out what point they were trying to get across. The end result, though, is that they are correct, and having a 'formalized data model' would enhance DCMI's functions and efforts.

2 comments:

JPM73 said...

Jean,

I also found the wikipedia article very interesting. The one thing that I found most interesting was in the article it discusses how things have progressed through the decades. To see where we have come, and potentially, where we could be going is an interesting thing to see and to think about.

As far as the new buzzword goes I wonder what "metadata" was refered to before the term came along? There has to be something because as you noted we have been dealing with it for years.

Unknown said...

Having not worked in a library setting, I found the readings this week a bit more informational. My database knowledge is limited and I would have preferred more explanation of the improvements on newer databases.

I agree with your assessment of metadata, but as technology progresses aren't we always relabeling things? I hadn't heard of metadata either, but everything in the article was familiar and I think that we just used different labels in other areas for labeling information.