Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Week 6 Readings

Local Area Network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Area_Network
One thing I love about these readings is that I always learn something. It had never occurred to me before that Wi-Fi is a LAN, but of course that makes so much sense now!

Computer network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network
I have a PAN! (Personal Area Network)... but what I wish I had was a WPAN! I must say, though, there are many more types of networks than I ever realized. This article gave a nice overview of the various terms and their definitions and relations to each other.

Common types of computer networks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dpgqDdfUjQ
One thing he said is that we often use acronyms without knowing their meaning--so true! Besides that, though, he basically gave a brief overview of what we read in wikipedia. However, it is really neat that people can post these video clips where anyone can watch them. Anything that improves upon the ways we can gain knowledge is great, and posting such videos is definitely a beneficial thing to those who would like to learn.

Coyle, K. (2005). Management of RFID in libraries. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 31(5), 486-489.
When I first began reading this article, I wasn't sure what they were saying... but when I re-read it, I realized how cool these radio frequency tags are:
"The RFID tag does not have to be visible to be read; instead, it can be read even when it is embedded in an item, such as in the cardboard cover of a book or the packaging of a product."
Imagine the changes this brings into the library field! It seems that it could be very time-saving and helpful for librarians to utilize, and perhaps save money as well. Although it still has some concerns, it seems that they could be worked out and this would be a step up from libraries' current barcodes, etc. One thing I felt the article lacked is that it referred to the ALA's statement on RFID in libraries, but didn't say what their statement was, so the reader would have to research that themselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that RFID would be a big ( and I think time saving) change in libraries! The one thing that does worry me about them though, is the suggestion of these RFIDs leading to self-check out stations. I worry that it might lead to a cut in jobs. Although I could be totally wrong, for all I know they could create more jobs, since new technology tends to do that.

JPM73 said...

Jean,

After reading our article on You-Tube last week I thought it was very appropriate that we actually see a presentation done it.

Nice to see that You-Tube is useful for something else besides home-videos, sports-highlights and old tv show clips.

Going to a point that the previous poster makes...I too am somehwat concerned about the prospect of self-checkeouts...like all technology advances it has its good points and bad points. However remember when a lot of people thought that the Internet would spell the doom of the library? The Library Industry has adopted and made use of the internet...just like I feel it will with any new technology that comes along.

Anonymous said...

I think RFID has great potential, especially in the areas of shelf reading and self-checkout, but I wonder about time savings at circulation. My undergraduate college just installed self checkout kiosks using RFID, but if you want to check out at circulation, we still had to scan indivdual barcodes into the system.

Joan said...

I also agree that RFID would be a huge help in libraries. Every week I have to check the shelves for overdues. Getting down to the bottom shelves is fine, it's getting back UP that's a problem. (haha). Might make that lots easier!
I saw you had a ? by shelf read on a comment you made. Shelf reading is when you go book by book to make sure it is the correct spot and all the other books are in the right place.
No juvenile books in the adult section, no nonfictions in with the fiction etc.

jean said...

My question wasn't regarding what shelf reading is, but rather how exactly RFID would help with shelf reading? I think it sounds great to have something help with that, I just wasn't sure exactly how it does it?