Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Week 7 Readings

Tyson, Jeff. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm/printable
I didn't realize that there is a group (The Internet Society) that oversees how the internet is used.--- Another thought, isn't it amazing how a message can travel from one computer half-way across the world to another computer (through a network) in just a fraction of a second? --- I also was impressed with the step-by-step details of how your browser searches for URL or IP addresses when you type them in. What a great website!

Andrew K. Pace. „Dismantling Integrated Library Systems“ Library Journal, vol 129 Issue 2, p34-36. 2/1/2004 http://rt4rf9qn2y.scholar.serialssolutions.com/?sid=google&auinit=AK&aulast=Pace&atitle=Dismantling+integrated+library+system.(Infotech+Feature)(Industry+Overview).&title=Library+journal+(1976)&volume=129&issue=2&date=2004&spage=3&issn=0363-0277
This article was eye-opening for me; I didn't realize that libraries are starting to have frustrations with ILSs. I didn't know that inter-operability meant a more difficult world for librarians... I would have thought it to be the other way around. It was interesting to read about how librarians are trying to find solutions by creating web-based programs or functions, and seeing how these work with their current systems.

Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Inside the Google machine. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/sergey_brin_and_larry_page_on_google.html
It was interesting to learn more about google and how (and why) it works. Besides being impressed over-all with everything that went into Google, I am also always impressed with companies that are dedicated to implementing procedures that keep their employees happy. If more companies would put a little bit of time and effort into that, perhaps they wouldn't suffer from high employee turn-over. What an amazing 'project' google was... it's incredible how much we each rely on google, and they always seem to have the answer we are looking for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny....I wrote almost the exact same thing about the first reading as well. I had no idea there was a "governing body" of sorts that oversees the internet, and agreed with your other comment as well.

As for google, I think that the way they treat their employees is very forward-thinking and has benefited them in the long run. Hopefully more organizations will be able to see the value in it and more toward such practices as well.

JPM73 said...

Jean,

I was surpised to learn about The Internet Society. Usually when I hear about organizations like this I get real paranoid...but I read a little further on them and they seem like a decent organization. I was also impressed with the step-by-step instructions on how the internet works.